- About Us
- Get Active
- News and Events
The NDU was formed in 1986 with the four unions below amalgamating to become the Northern Distribution Union.
- The Northern Drivers Union
- The Northern Stores and Warehouse Union
- The Auckland and Gisborne Shop Employee Union
- The Northern Butchers and Grocers Union
Our logo was designed to depict the four unions joining together.
At that time we were a northern union but with more amalgamations (unions listed below), some in the South Island, we changed the "Northern" to "National" to incorporate unions across the country.
- South Island Clothing Workers Union
- Distribution & General Workers Union
- NZ Engine Drivers Union
- Northern Textile & Clothing Workers Union
- Performance & Entertainment Union
- The Wood Industries Union of Aotearoa
- Southern Bakers Union
The NDU and its amalgamated unions have a proud history fighting for workers rights. Workers organising together in the NDU:
- were the first to win sick leave and tangihanga leave, paving the way for these benefits for all workers
- helped lift the minimum wage
- won a fourth week of annual leave and paid parental leave
- ended legalised pay discrimination against women
- played a role in making Waitangi day and Labour day public holidays